Recite Me accessibility and language toolbar user guide
The Recite Me accessibility and language toolbar lets you view and use our website in a way that works best for you.
The toolbar helps one in five people in the UK who have a disability, including common conditions like sight loss and dyslexia, access our website in the way that suits them best.
It also meets the needs of the 4.2 million people in the UK who speak a language other than English at home, by translating the web content into over 100 different languages.
How do I access the Recite Me toolbar?
You can open the Recite Me Accessibility Toolbar by clicking on the accessibility button in the top right corner of every page on the website.
After you select the Accessibility button, the Recite Me toolbar opens and displays a range of different options for customising the way the website looks and ways you can interact with the content.
Accessibility and language features
The Recite Me toolbar has a unique range of functions. You can use it to:
- Read website text aloud (including PDFs)
- Download the text as an MP3 file to play it where and when it suits you
- Change font sizes and colours
- Customise background-colours
- Translate text into more than 100 different languages
- Access a fully integrated dictionary and thesaurus
How to use the features
- Back - rewind to the previous paragraph of text
- Play - click the play button to read the text aloud
- Forward - skip forward to the next paragraph of text
- Decrease - this will decrease the text size
- Font - you can change the font that displays on the page
- Increase - this will increase the text size
Colour, Ruler and Mask
- Colour - change the background, text, and link colours
- Ruler - click to enable the reading ruler
- Screen Mask - will create a letterbox for focused viewing of a section of the page
Dictionary, Translation, and Magnifier
- Dictionary - highlight and click on this to view the definition of the word
- Translation - translate text into a different language
- Magnifier - click and drag the magnifying glass to magnify text on the screen
Margins, Plain Text Mode, and Download Audio
- Text Mode - remove images to view content in plain text mode
- Margins - change the text dimensions by narrowing the width of the text column
- Download Audio - highlight the text then click the button to download the text as an audio file
- Settings - adjust your Recite Me toolbar settings
- Reset - this will restore the default settings
- User Guide - this will give you an overview of the Recite Me toolbar features
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
How do I disable the auto read?
To disable the auto read you need to select the button marked "Settings". This will give you a list of three functions to choose from. Click on the bottom to the right of the option marked "Autoplay" This will then disable auto-read.
Does Recite Me work across different operating systems and mobile devices?
Yes. Their software works on multiple devices and operating systems including Android, iOS, Linux, Mac, and Windows devices.
Can I save my settings?
How do I change the language?
To change the language of the website that you are viewing you need to select the button marked "Languages". This will then show a drop-down list of all the languages that Recite offers. Find the language that you want from the list and select it. The website text will then be changed to that language.
How do I create an MP3?
To create an MP3, turn off the Autoplay option located within the settings button. Highlight the section of text that you want to create into an MP3. Once highlighted select the Download Audio button from the toolbar. You will then see a message telling you that your file is being created. Once created you will see the file appear ready at the bottom of the web page. You can now either listen to the file created or save it to a location of your choice.
How do I turn Recite Me off?
To close the Recite toolbar, click on the icon marked "Close" to the right of the Toolbar.