Dog-Friendly Preston Itinerary
If you're looking for the pawfect day out with your pooch then look no further. Preston's large selection of dog-friendly activities and venues around the city will have you, and your furry friend, spoilt for choice. This handy guide features dog-friendly days out, places to eat and drink, and places to stay over. With this handy guide, it's easy to create special memories with your four-legged family member.
All the places listed welcome well-behaved dogs and owners. Please clean up after your dog and keep them on a lead where necessary.
Many of the places listed also have free parking nearby, these parking spots can be seen on the map below.
For more ideas of things to do in Preston see our Visit Preston Blog.
Walks and outdoor spaces
Whether you're looking for a place where your pooch can burn off some energy or a relaxed stroll together, Preston has plenty outdoor spaces to suit your needs. Choose from the following:
- Preston Docks - A circular waterside walk with a well-known pet shop along the route where you can buy your pooch some treats. You will also find the Beach Hut Coffee Shop nearby, where well-behaved dogs are welcome and catered for with a special doggy menu which includes sausages and doggy ice cream.
- Beacon Fell - This country park features many different trails, taking you and your dog through woodland, around sculptures, and to the summit. The country park also has numerous areas for picnics and a visitor centre café.
- Lancashire Cheese Walk - This walk starts at The Green Man - a popular dog-friendly pub - and explores the Lancashire milk fields. The route is a gentle 6 mile walk and is suitable for dogs who are well-behaved around livestock. For details on the Green Man pub visit The Green Man at Inglewhite website.
- Self-Guided Walks - You can explore Preston's history and heritage on one of these many city walks. With a variety of dog-friendly places to eat and drink nearby, on top of a number of parks featured in the walks, there's no excuse not to bring your dog for a trip into the city.
- Guild Wheel - The Guild Wheel is a 21 mile circular route which takes you through both urban and rural Preston. You can choose to do the full route, or however much you feel. Along the way you will find dog-friendly cafés such as The Pavilion in Avenham & Miller Parks, The Final Whistle at UCLan's Sports Arena, The Beach Hut at Preston Docks, and a number of pubs along the way.
Parks and gardens
- Avenham and Miller Parks - These conjoined parks make a spacious and versatile place for you and your dog to burn off some energy or enjoy a picturesque stroll. Avenham Park is home to the Pavilion Café, which sits alongside the River Ribble and provides a peaceful spot to enjoy a bite to eat, a drink or an ice cream with your dog - both inside and outside. You will also find The Continental on the edge of Miller Park, welcoming dogs inside and outside whilst you enjoy a refreshing drink or a tasty meal.
- Moor Park - Moor Park provides vast green space, suitable for a good old fashioned game of fetch. The large park features different paths and plenty open areas as well as Rosemary on the Park - a dog-friendly café with doggy treats and plenty four-legged regular visitors.
- Winckley Square Gardens - If you're heading to the city centre then Winckley Square Gardens deliver a peaceful area of green space, with Avenham & Miller Parks and dog-friendly cafés and pubs nearby.
- Haslam Park - Haslam Park is a spacious park that keeps on giving. There are many routes for you and your dog to explore including a stroll along the Lancaster Canal, perfect for a day out in the fresh air.
- Ashton Park - This park's large green spaces make the ideal place for you and your dog to get some exercise. The park's history and peace gardens make it a great day out for humans and four-legged friends. Preston Docks are also within walking distance if you would like to explore further.
- Grange Park - Grange Park allows you to soak up some history and stroll around the gardens whilst getting you and your dog out and about for some fresh air. The park includes the site of the old Ribbleton Hall and is surrounded by multiple nature reserves where your dog can accompany you on its lead.
If you're looking for something to do in your spare time then why not take your dog with you? Enjoy a dog-friendly day out together at one of the following:
- Ribble Steam Railway and Museum - Take your pooch for a ride on a steam train and admire the exhibits. Dogs are welcome in all areas of the museum, with the exception of the café. You will also find Preston Dock, with The Beach Hut coffee shop, and the Guild Wheel, with the Final Whistle Café, nearby.
- Bowland Wild Boar Park - Enjoy getting up close with a variety of wild animals. Well-behaved dogs on their lead are very welcome to come along with you for a wild day out. The park also has a café on-site for lunch, snacks, and refreshments.
- Samlesbury Hall - Samlesbury Hall allow dogs in their grounds and their cafe and wafflery, allowing you to explore the hall's grand architecture and its attractions. The venue also hosts a relaxed and fun annual dog show every May.
- Duxburys Garden Centre - If you're looking to fit in a spot of shopping then Duxburys Home and Garden centre is the perfect place to visit with your pooch. There's even a restaurant and lounge.
Eat and drink
Enjoy a casual drink, a bite to eat, or a meal at one of the following dog-friendly places:
- The Larder - Centrally located, The Larder is the perfect place to share moments with your furry friend, whether for a breakfast, lunch, or a snack.
- Guild Ale House - Located in the city centre, Guild Ale House offers craft beers, ciders, cask ales, and wine.
- Stanley Arms - Where modern meets traditional. You and your pooch are welcome both indoors and outdoors at this city centre pub.
- The Market Tavern - This quirky and historical pub serves a range of craft drinks and includes seating inside and outside.
- Cafuné - This South American café is located on Preston's Flag Market. Enjoy a tasty bite to eat, breakfast or lunch, alongside a punchy coffee with your pooch by your side.
- Winckley Street Ale House - Home of ale and pies, Winckley Street Ale House welcomes pooches in its cosy indoors or outside seating area along the picturesque Winckley Street.
- The Black Horse - The Black Horse is a traditional city centre pub in a Victorian setting, serving classic beers, award-winning ales, wines, spirits, and soft drinks.
- Brucciani's - One of Preston's oldest coffee shops, Brucciani's serves breakfast, lunch, and cakes in a unique, vintage setting.
- 1842 Restaurant and Bar - Don't miss 1842's special Doggy Brunch monthly event where you can enjoy a spot of brunch and cocktails together thanks to their Doggy Menu.
- Origin Bakehouse - Located along Fishergate Hill, within walking distance of Avenham & Miller Parks and Preston Train Station, Origin serve delicious hot food, drinks, and tempting cakes.
- - This relaxed and friendly bar serves tasty and hearty food and includes a comfy beer garden.
- Town House Coffee and Brew Bar - This independent coffee shop is fantastic for lunch or relaxing breaks with a hot drink and cake, complete with puppuccino.
- LOST Bar and Pizzeria - This unique cafe, bar, and local artisan shop makes a lovely visit for lunch or a pint with your pup.
- The Adelphi - Near Preston's student district, The Adelphi serves affordable food and drink and allows dogs inside, and outside in its large beer garden.
- Pavilion Café - This dog-friendly café sits on Avenham Park, perfect for finishing off a small or big walk with a relaxing drink and some food.
- The Continental - Conveniently located on the edge of Avenham and Miller Parks, The Continental serves a large variety of beers, ciders, ales, and more as well as a seasonal and mouth-watering menu.
- Rosemary on the Park - Located on Moor Park, this delightful café is the perfect place for you and your dog to relax after a stroll. The café also sell human treats and dog treats as well as hot and cold drinks.
- Beer Brothers Brewery - Open Fridays and Saturdays, enjoy some local beers and ales at this unique bar.
- Chain House Brewing Co. - A dog friendly Bar and Taphouse located on Market Street West, behind Friargate, where you can enjoy a locally brewed beverage with your furry friend by your side.
If you're visiting Preston from afar, there's a fantastic selection of dog-friendly accommodation to suit all budgets. We recommend calling the hotel prior to booking to make sure they know your four-legged friend is joining you.
Accommodation within Preston city centre
- No.10 Preston - Luxury apartments perfect for a city break.
- The Myriad Apartments - Centrally located and themed boutique apartments with a dog-friendly selection.
Accommodation outside Preston city centre
- St Andrews House Hotel - This friendly guest house has easy access to the city centre and is even located within walking distance of Haslam Park and Ashton Park.
- The Claremont Hotel - This budget-friendly guest house is situated in a quiet residential area and close to public transport. Dogs can join you on your stay upon request.
- Ibis Preston North - Ibis Preston North are happy to receive you and your dog. The hotel makes a great location for discovering all the city's dog-friendly attractions.
- Macdonald Ticked Trout Hotel - This hotel is surrounded by a large variety of different places to walk your dog with ease as well as easy access into the city centre.
- Bartle Hall Country Hotel - Ideal for exploring the countryside and Preston's attractions, Bartle Hall is happy to let your dog join you in a luxury break.
- Preston Leyland Hotel - This boutique hotel offers a stylish base to explore Preston and other North West locations with your pooch by your side.
- Farington Lodge - A luxury hotel to the North of Preston city centre, Farington Lodge offer dog-friendly rooms and extensive gardens. The hotel boasts many walks nearby and even provide a breakfast sausage for four-legged guests.
- Samlesbury Hall Shepherd Huts and Lodge - Ideally located in the grounds of Samlesbury Hall, there's plenty to do around you whilst stopping in one of these cosy huts or lodges.
- The Villa Wrea Green- This hotel makes a great stay for you and your pooch. There are grounds where you can stretch your dog's legs (and yours) as well as many walks nearby and dog-friendly attractions within driving distance.
- The Villa Express - This simple yet stylish hotel and restaurant is a great location for exploring Preston's outskirts with your furry friend.
- Gibbon Bridge Hotel - If you're looking for a spot of luxury then look no further, Gibbon Bridge Hotel offers dog-friendly rooms surrounded by beautiful countryside where your pooch can stretch its legs.
Campsites and holiday parks
- Beacon Fell View Holiday Park - Hire one of these static caravans, complete with stunning views and plenty outdoors to explore.
- Donkey Creek Farm - For those travelling in their own caravan, this site has top-of-the-range facilities and is ideally located, with many walks and outdoors to explore with your dog.
- Mowbreck Caravan Park - On the outskirts of Preston, this caravan park offers special dog-friendly caravans.
- Orchard Glamping - Located in the beautiful rural Lancashire countryside, Orchard Glamping's pet friendly Bramble Pod makes a great choice of stay.
- Ribby Hall Village - Ribby Hall Village offers dog-friendly cottages, with grounds and easy access to Preston and surrounding countryside areas.
- Stanley Villa Farm Camping - Located on the outskirts of Preston, this pod campsite is perfect for an outdoor adventure and exploring Preston and further afield.
- Smithy Farm Camping- This campsite is great for those looking for a fuss-free break with their pooch.
- Poplar Grove Farm - This caravan park is suitable for those bringing their own caravan or those wishing to stay in one of the farm's unique shepherd huts or camping pods.
#VisitPreston - Share your experiences
Share your Preston adventures and discover new places to enjoy using #VisitPreston.
Map address for dog friendly itinerary
Preston Marina, Navigation Way, Ashton-on-Ribble, Preston, PR2 2YP
Beacon Fell Country Park, Carwags Lane, Preston, PR3 2ES
The Green Man at Inglewhite, Silk Mill Lane, Inglewhite, Preston, PR3 2LP
The Pavilion Cafe, Avenham and Miller Parks, South Meadow Lane, Preston, PR1 8JP
Avenham and Miller Parks, South Meadow Lane, Preston, PR1 8JT
The Continental, South Meadow Lane, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 8JP
Moor Park, Preston, PR1 6AS
Rosemary on the Park, Moor Park Avenue, Preston, PR6 1AU
Winckley Square, Preston, PR1 3JJ
Haslam Park, Bristow Avenue, Preston, PR2 1JE
Ashton Park Car Park: Pedders Lane, Preston, PR2 1HN
Grange Park, Preston, PR2 6QW
Ribble Steam Railway, Chain Caul Road, Preston, PR2 2PD
Bowland Wild Boar Park, Chipping, Preston, PR3 2QT
Samlesbury Hall, Preston New Road, Samlesbury, Preston, PR5 0UP
The Larder, 50 Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 1DD
Guild Ale House, 56 Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 1DD
Stanley Arms, 24 Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 1DA
The Market Tavern, 33-35 Market Street, Preston, PR1 2ES
Cafuné, 35 Market Place, Preston, PR1 2AR
Winckley Street Ale House, 8b Winckley Street, Preston, PR1 2AA
The Black Horse, 166 Friargate, Preston, PR1 2EJ.
Brucciani's, 91c Fishergate, Preston, PR1 2NJ
1842 Restaurant and Bar, The Corn Exchange, Lune Street, Preston, PR1 2NN
Origin Bakehouse, 24 Fishergate Hill, Preston, PR1 8JB
Town House Coffee and Brew Bar, 62 Friargate, Preston, PR1 2AT
Lost Bar and Pizzeria, 133 Market Street West, Preston, PR1 2HB
The Adelphi, 43 Fylde Road, Preston, PR1 7DP
Beer Brothers Brewery and Bar, 335 Ranglet Road, Walton Summit Centre, Preston, PR5 8AR
Chain House Brewing Co., 139-142 Market Street West, Preston, PR1 2HB
No.10 Preston, 10 Theatre Street, Preston, PR1 8BQ
The Myriad, 32 Fishergate Hill, Preston, PR1 8DN
St Andrews House Hotel, 518 Blackpool Road, Ashton-on-Ribble, Preston, PR2 1HY
The Claremont Hotel, 516 Blackpool Road, Ashton-on-Ribble, Preston, PR2 1HY
Hotel Ibis Preston North, Garstang Road, Preston, PR3 5JE
Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, Preston New Road, Samlesbury, Preston, PR5 0UJ
Bartle Hall Country Hotel, Lea Lane, Bartle, Preston, PR4 0HA
Preston Leyland Hotel, Leyland Way, Leyland, Preston, PR25 4JX
Farington Lodge, Stanifield Lane, Farington, Lancashire, Preston, PR25 4QR
Samlesbury Hall, Preston New Road, Samlesbury, Preston, PR5 0UP
The Villa Wrea Green, Moss Side Lane, Wrea Green, Preston, PR4 2PE
The Villa Express, Fleetwood Road, Kirkham, PR4 3HE
Gibbon Bridge Hotel and Restaurant, Green Lane, Chipping, Preston, PR3 2TQ
Beacon Fell View Holiday Park, Higher Road, Preston, PR3 2TF
Donkey Creek Farm, Naze Lane, Freckleton, Preston, PR4 1RA
Mowbreck Caravan Park, Mowbreck Lane, Wesham, Preston, PR4 3HA
Orchard Glamping, Bruna Hill, Sturzaker House Farm, Catterall, Garstang, Preston PR3 1QB
Ribby Hall Village, Ribby Road, Kirkham, Preston, PR4 2PR
Stanley Villa Farm Fishing and Camping, Back Lane, Greenhalgh, Preston, PR4 3HN
Smithy Farm Shop, Fleetwood Road, Preston, PR4 3HJ
Poplar Grove Farm Caravan Park, Humblescough Lane, Garstang, Nateby, Preston, PR3 0LL